GR - debatable?

I can see the point behind removing non-free from the ftp site - in terms
of ideology. (I don't completely agree with that ideology, but that's
another story.)

>From the Social Contract:

1.Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

     We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
software. As there are many definitions of free software, we include the
guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below. We will
support our users who develop and run non-free software on Debian, but we
will never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.

I think the key here is "support our users." That says that non-free needs
to be tied in to the Distribution. It isn't, and won't be, part of the
Distribution, but the "Debian Umbrella" needs to encompass the non-free
and contrib software that people commonly use.

I don't use "the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution." I use a Debian system
that includes the DG/LD. The "Debian Umbrella" covers the BTS,
apt/dselect, packaging guidelines, etc. It's what makes Debian a complete
system.