Re: Is anyone packaging `lame' ?

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> > Policy section 2.1.4 says:
> >
> >      `Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG or
> >      which are encumbered by patents or other legal issues that make their
> >      distribution problematic.
> >
> >      All packages in `non-free' must be electronically distributable
> >      across international borders.
>
> Many patent encumbered programs do not satisfy this requirement.

If they don't satisfy this requirement they can neither be in Debian nor
in non-free.

> > Policy section 2.1.5 says:
> >
> >      Some programs with cryptographic program code must be stored on the
> >      "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.
> >
> >      This applies only to packages which contain cryptographic code.  A
> >      package containing a program with an interface to a cryptographic
> >      program or a program that's dynamically linked against a
> >      cryptographic
> >      library can be distributed if it is capable of running without the
> >      cryptography library or program.
> >
> > Note: "This applies only to packages which contain cryptographic code."
>
> I can read too; as a mirror maintainer I'm telling you how things work
> in practice.

A program in non-US/main has to be DFSG free and you must be allowed to
use it everywhere - including the USA. "non-US" doesn't mean "you mustn't
use it in the USA" but "you are allowed to use it in the USA; you aren't
allowed to export it from the USA". What else are you doing "in practice"?

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi