Re: xemacs fails to start - can't open UNIX socket

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 07:29:41PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Package: xemacs21-bin
> Version: 21.1.10-1
>
> I don't know if this is a bug in this package or a symptom of a problem
> somewhere else.  The system is woody, right up to date.  Any ideas, please?

It's something wrong with alternatives, or something:

[alisdair@squat ~] $ ls -l `which xemacs`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 May 18 00:24
/usr/bin/xemacs -> /etc/alternatives/xemacs
[alisdair@squat ~] $ ls -l /etc/alternatives/xemacs
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 May 30 01:33
/etc/alternatives/xemacs -> /usr/bin/gnuclient
[alisdair@squat ~] $ /usr/bin/gnuclient
gnuclient: Connection refused
gnuclient: unable to connect to local

I find that running `xemacs21' fixes the problem: perhaps that's what
the alternative should point to?
--
Alisdair McDiarmid