Re: KDE REWARD OFFERED

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Carl B. Constantine wrote:

) Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 07:45:54 -0700
) From: Carl B. Constantine <carl@os-s.com>
) To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
) Subject: Re: KDE REWARD OFFERED
)
) On 6/9/2000 15:49, Steve Greenland at stevegr@debian.org wrote:
)
) > 1. The GPL is not compatible with the QPL - software released under the
) > GPL may not be linked with Qt and then distributed.
)
) That's in Binary form. What about just distributing the Source (the (L)GPL'd
) part) and leaving it up to the user to compile and link to Qt. I don't see
) this as violating the GPL in any way.
The license violation is the same whether in source or binary form - the
GPL can't be linked against Qt, no matter who does the linking.
)
) At this point it seems to me this holy war is more of an emotional thing
) because of past violations and the fact that Debian seems to just hate KDE
) and won't allow it into the distro no way no how.
I don't think so. Debian is a large and diverse group. And the fact that
this is a recurring discussion shows that there are people in Debian who
do care about getting KDE in.
)
) Personally, I don't like KDE and use Gnome. KDE is ugly as sin and reminds
) me WAY too much of windows (more than Gnome does). Konquor reminds me too
) much of Windows Explorer and the Active desktop crap that MS forced on
) people (for the record, I'm not impressed with Nautilas for the same
) reason).
One man's meat...
)
) Anyway, my 2¢
)
)
Jimmy
--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/