Re: Seconded, sponsored. (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:03:22 +1000, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:38:48AM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> Here are two ways to solve that problem:
>>
>> Install vrms on Debian systems by default.
>
>why? while i think that vrms is a good and useful piece of software,
>i can also see that those who don't approve of it would see it as
>irritating nag-ware. i don't see any need to spam our users by
>automatically installing software that nags them with a moralising
>message.

I think this is a good idea to sensibilize users against non-free, as
some people intend to do by eradicating non-free in its entirety.

>if people choose to install it, that's fine. if not, then it's spamware.
>
>(the obvious response "just tell people to uninstall it of they don't
>like it" deserves about as much respect as "this is not spam, click here
>to unsubscribe")

On new Debian systems, I routinely deinstall packages like pppconfig
or pump that get automatically installed by the setup even if I don't
need it. I don't have a problem with putting vrms onto that list.

I'd happily make that concession if it is what is needed to keep
non-free on the archives and in the BTS.

Greetings
Marc