On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:18:36AM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> >
> > Mozilla ought to be amply ready by the time woody is released.
>
> But it isn't *now*, which is when you are proposing to throw out Netscape.

The resolution specifically names woody; potato will "ship" with
Netscape (at least, to the extent Debian has ever shipped with
Netscape).

Woody won't be an issue, it seems, for another year at least.

> > Anyway, none of these are shipped with Debian now.  What is the harm
> > in not shipping them on our FTP site?
>
> Because a) You can get CDs with non-free on then, which are useful,

Which you could still do, assuming someone cared enough to set up an
alternate non-free archive.

> b)having them on the ftp site means people can get packaged-up
> versions of the non-free software they need/want, knowing that it's
> well-maintained and will integrate properly with their system, and
> that any problems can be dealt with via the BTS.

None of that is impossible with the resolution.  The only sticking
point might be the BTS.

But nothing prevents Debian developers from packaging, signing, and
uploading whatever they want; the only difference is that the archive
they upload to will not be an authoritative upload queue for Debian.