Adam McKenna <adam-debian@flounder.net> writes:

> I don't see how the status quo is particularly bad.  As several people have
> already noted, the reasons behind this proposal are mainly motivated by
> politics.

Being motivated by politics is often a noble thing.  Do you think that
having principles is bad?  That we should endeavor to make our
decisions in as unprincipled a manner as possible?

In any case, the status quo has one serious problem: many users think
that non-free is part of Debian.  In fact, the only thing about it
that is "not part of Debian" is that sentence.  In all other ways,
non-free participates fully in Debian, and lots of users and many
developers think this resolution is about "removing non-free from
Debian", which implies that they think that non-free is currently in
Debian.

> Perhaps what I find most distasteful is the general sentiment that software
> developers right's don't matter unless they are developing free software.
> Feel free to argue that this isn't the case, but I have seen it everywhere in
> this community, and even more so after joining this list.

I don't think any software developer HAS a moral right to try and
restrict what I do on my computer using copyright laws.  I understand
that the current laws of the US and other countries disagree, and I'm
doing what I can to help change that.