Re: network installer uses HTTP instead of FTP to load base2_2.tgz

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 11:41:03AM -0500 , Ron Flory wrote:
>  For the case of this discussion imagine that we are performing a
> network install on more than one machine, and we do NOT have a Debian CD
> available.  We DO have a network connection to a local mirror of the
> Debian directory structure which contains all the necessary files for
> our arch.  Since we have a network connection and the installer is able
> to access the network, it would be silly to force the user to manually

OK
> split the base2_2.tgz file into small enough chunks to fit on floppies.

why manualy? There are already split on the mirror

> It would also be silly to force the user to burn his own CD just to
> install Debian via the network.
>
>  I do have an issue with inconstant means of downloading necessary files
> during an install.  http is simply a bad choice for dozens of reasons.

inconsistant? I'd say installing all from http is not inconsistent.

> Forcing the user to provide http accessible file instead of simply
> accessing the base2_2.tgz file via anonymous and/or non-anonymous FTP is
> curiously over-restrictive. Why?

If a user can setup a ftp mirror, that surely he can

> > >  * the user cannot install from a local Debian mirror or cdrom image
> > >    contained in a normal user directory.
> >
> > You have Debian mirror in your home dir? Hmm. You can always put it
> > in you user WW dir :)
>
>  Again, I know how to work around the issue for myself, however I can
> easily imagine many users at home, or at school who would do this.  Not

and I can imagine what a sysadmin would do to a user with a potato mirror in
his home dir

> > IIRC apt is configured to use HTTP by default for package download.
>
>  OK, but it does not allow the user to specify FTP as an alternate
> protocol, so far as I have been able to determine.
>
>  This should be a trivial behavior to support.  Why the restriction?

no? apt-setup, which is run after reboot ask you to specify, where the files
are (cdrom, http, ftp, filesysmtem, by-hand), which distribution, if you want
contrib, non-free, non-US and from which country. i think it's easy enough.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<sgore> We Are Debian.  You Will Be Packaged. Media Opinion Is Irrelevant.