On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 05:31:27PM +1000, Drake Diedrich wrote:
>    I think this is a plot to make Debian less useful to a percentage
> (between 5% and 95%) of the userbase

Are you serious?

> in order to create a larger market
> niche for a new Debian-based distribution.  Probably Microsoft Debian.

Well, if you're going to trot out a conspiracy theory, how about
identifying as your culprit Progeny Linux, the new company with which John
Goerzen has recently taken a position?  Progeny is headed by Ian Murdock,
the founder of Debian and not someone about whom I am accustomed to hearing
testimonals on lack of integrity.

You want a conspiracy theory?  Roll with it, man.  Full steam ahead.  Let's
see if you end up making any sense at all.

> It'll also sabotage the bug tracking system and a distributed package pool.

Sabotage the BTS?  How?  Will all my XFree86 bugs be closed if this
proposal is implemented (actually, that might almost be a blessing, and
therefore my support of the proposal as amended must be suspect :) )?

How will a "distributed" package pool be disrupted by such a thing?  If a
package pool is "distributed", can't it be "distributed" across hosts
including those not managed by Debian, as long as the administrators of
those hosts work with us cooperatively?

G. Branden Robinson            |    Experience should teach us to be most on
Debian GNU/Linux               |    our guard to protect liberty when the
branden@ecn.purdue.edu         |    government's purposes are beneficent.
roger.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |    -- Louis Brandeis