On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 02:35:33AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> [...] You have found those non-free programs even
> without our help.  Why should we be compelled to help you find them?

Who's being compelled?

You're certainly not: you don't have to mirror non-free, or work on
packages in non-free, or pay attention to bug reports for non-free
packages, or anything of the sort.

Debian as a whole isn't compelled to either, but it has in the past
voluntarily agreed to provide non-free software to its users in a form
that's easily assimilatable into a Debian system.

You now want Debian to renege on that agreement.

If anything, you're the one trying to compell people: you're trying to
stop developers and non-free authors working on non-free software. Certainly
within the context of Debian, and, based on your rationale, in the wider
world as well.

And that's all very well, but don't try to tell us we're already being
compelled to do anything here. We're not.

Words mean things, please choose them carefully.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark