Re: dpkg conffiles weirdness

MoiN

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 11:25:43PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> I tried reinstating the old xterm conffile and reinstalling version
> 3.3.6-7, but now the conffile wasn't touched.  I then tried deleting
> the conffile and reinstalling; no conffile was installed at all this
> time.  Purging and reinstalling reinstalled the conffile, but nothing
> less would do so.

dpkg keeps track of the original conffiles from the package. It
stores the md5 checksum of the package's conffiles. Only if the
md5sum changes dpkg tries to install the new configuration file
by checking the old md5 checksum against the one of the installed
file. dpkg then installs the new config file (on user request
with an additional .dpkg-new) and updates the internal checksum.

After installing xterm 3.3.6-7 your config file did not change on
reinstalling it and dpkg left it alone. dpkg forgets about the
config files only after you purge a package (removing it leaves
the config files, too).

    Ingo
--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.