mashed potatoes

I installed potato on my ACER laptop with only one incident (X-11). So I
thought, how hard could it be on a lap top. I started by installing
kernel-image-2.2.15-ide. Now, my machine has only SCSI hard drives. When I
rebooted I received a kernel panic. It could not install the root file
system. In fact, it could not see the hard drives! My first question
is:
Does kernel-image-2.2.15-ide have SCSI support?

I tried to revert to 2.1 by using the binary cd. But during the install
that also could not see the hard drives. Now, I was using the binary 2 CD,
that is supposed to be used for laptops. Is is possible that binary 2 CD
also does not have SCSI support?

Could someone demystify me?

Arthur H. Edwards
712 Valencia Dr. NE