Re: Bertrand Meyer challenges some open-source assumptions.

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 11:52:48AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > Eric Raymond comes under fire for being a known gun owner and
> > activist.
>
> As I already said here, I agree with Meyer on this issue, and you should
> be aware that it is a very common argument in France against free
> software ("Free software proponents are also gun lunatics because they
> want freedom, every freedom, freedom to steal software and to kill
> people. See Raymond for an example.")

Does that make everyone who's ever fired a handgun or owns a handgun or
practiced firing one at a range a "lunatic"?

> But I see this as a problem with Raymond only while Meyer extends the
> criticism to every free software zealot, even demanding that we
> explicitely distance from Raymond, as if we were responsible of every
> crazy gunner who appears to promote free software.

I personally see no reason to distance myself from Eric Raymond because he
is a gun activist.  What do handguns have to do with software?  That's the
point.  If people can't make that distinction, the problem is theirs, not
mine.

<Culus> Hhhmmmmmmmm
<Culus> waterbeds for cows
<Culus> eleet
<cas> Culus: why would a cow need a waterbed?
<Culus> cas:  To be comfy warm