Re: 2.4.0!

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:00:37 -0700
> From: Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>
> To: Mike Bilow <mikebw@colossus.bilow.com>
> Cc: Erik <journey@jps.net>, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: 2.4.0!
>
> On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 01:24:18AM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> > I disagree with this.  I think, as I said emphatically and repeatedly,
> > that the solution is more frequent full releases and shorter release
> > cycles.  I would ideally like to see Woody release about six months after
> > Potato.  I think the Potato release should be followed by about three
> > months of aggressive integration of new packages into Woody and then about
> > three more months of freeze and testing leading to release of Woody.
>
> Not to put too fine a point on this, but just HOW THE HELL do you propose
> to shorten release cycles?  I've watched Hamm, Slink, and now Potato go
> through the same things.  Everyone wants to shorten release cycles, but
> every attempt made to do so is totally ineffective.
>
> When I met last summer with several Debianites over dinner (among them
> joeyh, wichert, gecko, and others), it was generally agreed by all of us
> that the only way to shorten release cycles was to either start making
> incremental releases or to move toward a unstable being a pool which
> packages deemed stable enough to release are picked from and tested in a
> nearly constant release preperation modality.
>
> If you think about it, both of these schemes boil down to the same
> prospect:  Adding packages as they become stable to an already stable
> distribution.

The only way to do this in a safe manner is to do what I proposed in my last
e-mail to the list.  We start with a base, which we all show to be stable, and
work off that.  The layered approach could let us release a new BASE every three
months.  The apps that sit on top of that one can then be set on the new base,
and tested, in order of their dependancies on other packages(the fewer
dependancies it has, the quicker it can be added and tested).  At any time,
people can upgrade, first the base, then the layers as they are tested.  There
are SOME problems with this approach(like the new base POSSIBLY killing your
apps), but that's the price of working with an unreleased version of the OS.  It
would probably be as safe as what people have done when using unstable in the
past, but at least MOST of your system will be stable.

							Dave Bristel