Re: ITP seahorse

Mike Bilow <mikebw@colossus.bilow.com> writes:

> You are also right in saying that the crypto in the Debian non-US tree
> might well fall within the new rules and be legally exportable to most of
> the world, but there is still a prohibited list (Libya, Cuba, Iran, Iraq,
> North Korea, etc.) of countries to which export of even widely available
> crypto is prohibited from the US, so posting on the Internet is not
> allowed without at least some kind of gate checking.

If I understand the texts Branden quoted, you do not need to actively
check that.

Furthermore, at least some software in non-non-US (containing DES, for
example) is already in the "export-everywhere-exept-Libya" category,
so this point is pretty moot. Either we breach the regulations
already, by possibly exporting libcrypt to Libya, or we won't have
problems with possibly exporting netscape-US.

--
Robbe