Re: ITP seahorse

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Mike Bilow wrote:

> On 2000-05-23 at 13:26 +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 03:39:29AM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> > > Is there any Policy objection to calling these CDs "US-exportable" and
> > > "International and US domestic use (not US-exportable)" instead of
> > > "US" and "non-US" as is commonly said?  I cannot find anything in Policy
> > > which explicity names the CD images, as opposed to parts of the archive.
> >
> > I really like this idea.  Who/where would it be implemented, and could
> > someone speak to them, perhaps?
>
> Clearly, it is Anne Bezemer who actually names the images.  The question
> is: who has authority to choose the names?  I don't think there is any
> Policy implication, as I said, but a consensus here would be useful.
> Raphael Hertzog, as the maintainer of the debian-cd package, would also be
> able to implement this as part of the software.

Let me put this straight: I do maintain the cdimage.debian.org webpages, which
is currently the only place where the "US"/"non-US" designation is present.
The CD images themselves do not (yet) "know" what they are exactly. I do not
make or name the images (Phil Hands does), but I do have a little influence on
the process. You can have that, too, if you care.

That said, I do refer to the images as "non-US" etc. on the webpage, but that
is just a "reasonable default". If anyone has better names, please tell me.
But they must be 1) correct and 2) usable. The problem is finding a set of
names that satisfy both. Obviously, "International and US domestic use (not
US-exportable)" fails with 2).

I'm open to (thought-over) suggestions. I don't like "US" and "non-US" very
much myself. You may have noticed that I've been referring to "US" as
"non-nonUS" for clarity purposes. That's because there is no clear opposite of
"non-US" (maybe "Everywhere")...

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer