Re: The lilo problem

Mike Bilow wrote:

> I agree, and I am trying to think of a real solution other than merely
> documenting this more emphatically.  Unfortunately, we cannot just opt
> to disable the LARGE_EBDA support in Lilo, or it will break a lot of
> high-end server-class machines.
>
> Note that this should never make a system unbootable.  At worst, userland
> Lilo would fail out with an error, leaving the system unchanged.

The problem with my installation is that lilo was upgraded
during apt-get dist-upgrade. It asked if it could rerun lilo,
I said yes, it failed, lilo's post-inst failed and so apt
got an error message after that.

After this is interesting because I couldn't tell if lilo
had destroyed the bootsector or left it unchanged, since the
error occured a fair way down. And when you're dealing with
your boot-loader, you don't want to take any chances.

So I downgraded, which worked fine again.

Anyway, why can't it be an option in the config file?
EDBA=64k
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com>
http://cupid.suninternet.com/~kleptog/