Re: Test cycle schedule

First: we hope to have official test-cycle-1 CD images on monday.
Info will be at http://cdimage.debian.org/potato_pre.html

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Richard Braakman wrote:

> I will end the current test cycle on next wednesday, may 24th.  On that
> day I will install all the packages scheduled for installation.
>
> During the two days after that, I will remove most of the packages that
> have release-critical bugs from potato.  It may take more than two days,
> but I hope not.
>
> On Monday, may 29th, I will start the next test cycle.  Monday will be

I hope you realize that (at least) m68k will definately _not_ be ready by
then. The autobuilder only builds pkgs that are installed (i.e. not those in
Incoming), and is really slow due to the very nature of those machines. For
example: apt builds in 10 mins on i386, but takes _four_hours_ on m68k.

> the last day on which I install (or remove) packages; after that the
> archive will be quiet so that the boot-floppies and cd image teams can go
> to work.  This time I would like to have more than one person
> standing by to make CD images.

A few machines are auto-building daily and weekly images, check webpage above.
Only these are very unofficial and sometimes "unstable" images.

At the moment, Phil Hands is making the release-quality images, which is a
quite "delicate" job. There's no problem with his "standing by"; the big
problem with the first test cycle is that the archive just didn't stabilize
(or maybe better: we didn't know it had really stabilized) until a few days
ago. And you'll agree with me that there's no point making images when you
know that the archive will change the next day.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer