Re: Tool for adding a piece of text to a configuration file?

Previously Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> This seems to be a common thing to want to do, so I expect that a tool
> for this already exists.

Afaik no such tool exists, but it is quite easily done with sed and a
little bit of sh:

master=something.conf	# Configuration file in which we want to insert data
insert=/tmp/new		# File with data we want to insert
pkg=testpackage		# Name of this package
tmpfile=`tempfile`	# Temporary file

# Divider lines for our data
start="#### start of #pkg section ####"
end="#### start of #pkg section ####"

# If the master configuration file exists copy the contents to our temporary
# file but strip our previous data in there
if [ -f $master ] ; then
	sed -e '/^$start/,/^$stop/d' $master > $tempfile
fi

# (Re)create the configuration file with our extra data
cat $tempfile > $master
echo $start >> $master
cat $insert > $master
echo $stop >> $master

rm -f $tmpfile

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |