Re: ["Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>] Re: apt-get

Paul Seelig wrote:
> While he is a bit exaggerating it stroke me as well, that a minimal
> Debian installation (speaking about potato) has been increased to
> become around some 80 MBs.  In slink this used to be under 50 MB.

I just untarred potato's base.tgz, and it was just over 40 mb. So no, we
really haven't bloated.

> Yes, i found some of these as well.  My favorite (not!) is the
> qt-devel package which always tries to force me to install the various
> MBs large qt-doc package as well.  I once wrote a personal mail to the
> current maintainer (a year ago or so) but ist was ignored/overseen
> (suppoesedly without any bad intentions).  Yes, i'll better send out
> an official bug report instead.  Probably serves far better as a
> constant reminder ... ;-)

Package: qt2-doc
Section: doc
Installed-Size: 12000
Maintainer: Ivan E. Moore II <rkrusty@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: qt2
Version: 1:2.0.2-1.1
Suggests: libqt2-dev (>= 1:2.0.2-1.1), www-browser

I remember filing a bug on this ages ago. As you can see, it's fixed.

> > There was a brief power out last night; when I came in today, all of
> > my workstations booted to fvwm2, when my preferred wm is windowmaker.
> > Somewhere over the last few updates fvwm2 silently (IMO offering to
> > change the configuration as the default option in the middle of
> > upgrading 150 packages is "silent") substituted itself as the
> > preferred wm.
> >

> I've been bitten by this as well.

What do you think it is? Is it a bad side effect of the change in how X
handles window manager (now using update-alternatives, I belive)?

--
see shy jo