Re: ["Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>] Re: apt-get

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:51:30PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>

[...]

>     Stephen> Furthermore, the *BSD crowd prefers software that can be
>     Stephen> forced to work by a savvy administrator, unlike the
>     Stephen> Debian install stuff, which when it refuses to work can
>     Stephen> be remarkably hard to unravel.  (Eg, I just wasted half
>     Stephen> an hour purging diald ... diald.postrm was puking
>     Stephen> somewhere deep in the bowels of debhelper without any
>     Stephen> error message.
>
>     Karl>  Did you report the bug?  If it goes unreported it may not
>     Karl> get fixed as quickly.
>
> No, I didn't report the bug.

Well, first of all, as the diald maintainer, I'd be interested in a
bug report...

Anyone have any more info?  Is it potato or woody?  Is it the same as
#64118, or is it something different?

FWIW, it sounds like he's getting debhelper and debconf confused.
I've looked hard, and haven't found any reference to debhelper in the
scripts in the binary package itself.  I did just recently add debconf
support to diald, but only for the woody package; in that case, the
old caveat seems appropriate: we don't call it unstable for grins.

Most of the rest is just bile (jeez - what did I ever do to him?), but
this part is just positively hilarious:

> I know I could report bugs and ignore any responses, but it's hard to
> convince myself to do that.  One of these days I'll psych myself up
> for it, and go through my Debian-bug notes and submit them all....

And he needs psyching up to face the wrath of a Debian maintainer?
>From reading the rest of the diatribe, I sure don't get all kinds of
warm feelings submitting bug reports to him.

Some people, I guess, get like that.  They do one thing, and assume
that nothing could be more difficult than what they do, and get all
pissed when Project X doesn't meet their "high standards".

I suppose I would say to him, were he listening: Call me when you've
integrated 80 million lines of code into a distribution half as
coherent as Debian.

However, I suspect he isn't.  Lighting a candle vs. cursing the
darkness, and all that.