Re: Boot floppy suggestion

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:

> The problem is with the postrm script for setserial.  There's a line
> that starts:
>
> if ! ... ; then
>
> which should obviously be:
>
> if [ ! ... ] ; then
>
> Fixing this allowed me to remove the package.

Weird, since the syntax IS correct. The actual line(s) from setserial's
postrm (from setserial 2.17-10):

if test -x /sbin/update-modules ; then
  if ! /sbin/update-modules ; then
    echo "You have update-modules, but it reported an error...continuing"
  fi
fi

This executes /sbin/update-modules if it exists, reads it exit status and
displays a message if the exit status is not 0.

What you propose would only test whether the string "/sbin/update-modules"
is empty. The test would fail and the message would not be displayed, but
/sbin/update-modules wouldn't be executed.

Remco
--
rd1936:   9:35pm  up 53 days,  2:58,  8 users,  load average: 1.27, 1.27, 1.27