Re: Some more debconf queries

Rob Browning wrote:

> Yeah, it's too bad all the config files don't just contain scheme/lisp
> forms.  Then you could just have one universal tiny parser that's
> regular, very well defined, and gives people with parenphobia the
> willies :>

Well, using scheme/lisp expressions is daunting. The MacOS X people
are using XML for the task but IMHO, that's even crazier.

> (I've often wondered how much useful work has been wasted on mostly
>  tangential attempts to define yet another config-file format.  I feel
>  the same way about the time spent trying to invent and worse yet,
>  parse, the C++ language's syntax.  Those front-end writers have my
>  deepest sympathy :> )

A universal config file format would be nice, though I wouldn't think
C++. I'd do it like this
  * class based language
  * statements based on common concepts in config files (options, lists
    , etc.)
  * annotation based two-way translators for each config format
  * multiple inheritance
  * and a native grammar formalism to define translators
  * perhaps some generics would be nice, but a bad generics makes
    your language C++, so best to avoid that.

It would seem to me that this would avoid the brain-damage
of an XML approach. Clean, nice and cool. It'd be a programming
language on its own, somewhere between a declarative class based
language, and a documentation markup language.

And yes, writing a C++ front-end is a terrible job. I didn't do it,
but I don't think I want to write a C++ semantic analyzer in plain C.
Congratulations to the g++ team, though they couldn't implement the
export keyword :)

--
 +  Eray "eXa" Ozkural                   .      .   .  . . .