Passwords and ssh identity.pub

On Thu, 11 May 2000 00:56:47 Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:59:21AM -0400, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:
>>      Have the .ssh files from master been transferred to auric?  I am
>> unable to ssh into ftp-master.debian.org.  I am asked for a password,
>> and the password that I use on other debian machines and in the LDAP
>> database is not accepted.  Unless I am badly mistaken, ssh access is
>> necessary to dupload using scp.
>
> Do you have an ssh ident?  If so, load that into the LDAP database and
> that will be transferred among (all) the machines (except possibly for
> master).  I would recommend emailing such questions to
> debian-admin@debian.org; they have a very good record for answering
> such questions in my experience.

     I uploaded my identity.pub to the LDAP database late this
morning.  Prior to that, I could ssh into master or va with no
difficulties.  Since then, when I try to ssh into master or
ftp-master.debian.org., I get the response "bob@master.debian.org.'s
password:", and my password is refused.  Of course, I have no password
as `bob' on master.

     I believe the problem is that my login on master is `hilliard'
and my login on my own machine is `bob'.  The last line of my
identity.pub is:

"1 bob@bobspc"

     I suspect that the `bob@bobspc' is, at least partially, to blame
for the confusion, and that uploading my identity.pub to the LDAP
database is related to it.

     What do I need to do to be able to use ssh with the debian
machines?  Must I create a user `hilliard' on my machine and do an ssh
key-gen for that user, or should change my login on master to `bob'?
I would much prefer the latter if that name was available.  Of course,
the best solution would be to fix things the way they were on master
this morning.

Bob
--
   _