Re: Renaming a package

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:20:56AM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 04:41:03PM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm taking over the sawmill package. Due to name conflicts with a commercial
> > package sawmill is being renamed to sawfish. Should I install symlinks from
> > the old binaries to the new ones? Is a renamed package with Replaces: lines
> > the right way of telling apt/dpkg/dselect how to upgrade systems?
>
> Okay,
>
> What about a dummy `sawmill' package that depends on `sawfish' and contains
> only some symlinks so peoples .xsession files don't break. This package can
> be dropped at a later stage. Does that sound like a good plan?

It doesn't need to contain anything at all.  THat's what I meant by a
dummy package.

It's sufficient that it be an empty package depending on sawfish, and
then when sawfish *is* installed, the C/R/P trick will de-install
sawmill.

The symlinks, if you want them, should be in the new sawfish package.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable