Re: 'unstable' (was Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO))

Bernard ISAMBERT <isambert@sib.fr> writes:

> But, as everyone can easily experience it,
> if you regularly update your system with the unstable distro,
> you have a system which really crashes, or fails on important
> packages, here or there now or then.
> I'm not natively english speaking, but for me that's the definition
> of un *unstable* system.
> So, please, call it unstable. It's the best word.

I wonder what you mean by 'system crash'. I think that packages or
programs that are buggy may crash, but not the 'system' (unless the
package concerned is the kernel ;-), or XFree in some cases). I
'assign' my crashes mostly to my 2.3.99 kernel and XFree4.0 (wich I
must admit to have installed from the binary tarballs 'over' the
existing installation handled by dpkg, which is certainly not optimal
;-))

So I'm not quite sure if unstable is the right word. (And yes, I do
regular updates, almost daily...)

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann (Dru@ICQ, 54523380@ICQ)
Pfeilgasse 4-6/725, A-1080 Wien, Austria, Europe