Re: md5sums in deb

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Decklin Foster wrote:

> md5sums are also useful if you want to check whether or not you have a
> corrupted download, right? I would imagine libc is also on that list,
> and it's pretty big to fetch over a dial-up connection just to check.

This is checked before the package is even installed. The only thing the
md5sums are usefull for is checking after-installation if the files are
still the same, and even then it doesn't cover perms, ownership or dates
so it really misses the mark (tripwire).

IHMO a tripwire function should be in the package manager and not
something the packager should worry about.

Jason