Re: coupe things RedHat does well and Debian should too

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 11:38:01PM -0400, Decklin Foster wrote:
> Ethan Benson writes:
>
> > bindshell?
> > or do you mean games like detached screen sessions and suidperl?
>
> Like that. Listen on a high port, spawn a shell when the *cough* l33t
> h4x0r connects and gives a password. No, i didn't just make up the
> name. But you bring up two more good reasons why 'nosuid' should not
> be considered a cure-all.

ah ok.

im not all that familier with the way suidperl works but why can't it
check for nosuid mount options before allowing a script located on a
nosuid filesystem from being run suid?

> I fired off that last mail before I had time to wonder: why are we
> talking about suid executables anyway? I thought this module chowned
> the devices or something similar... *shrug*

someone mixed up chowning devices for granting group membership based
on login tty.  either way the same tricks will work.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/