Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

I was going to suggest something similar, and found a minor drawback:
you're going to effectively need two sets of maintainers and a handoff
mechanism.  One set of unstable maintainers that ensure that unstable
stays on the bleeding edge, and one set that does nothing but bugfixes for
the frozen->stable xsition.  The reason that this is a minor problem and
not the show stopper it seems is that there's an elegant solution
slapping us in the face ATM: new-maintainers.  Set up some kind of
apprenticeship program that a new maintainer must do N releases of
bugfixes before they can go into unstable mode and do ITPs (or N releases
of packaging only before they're let loose on the RC bugs...either way, it
makes little difference to the elegance of the solution).  The handoff
mechanism might just be an extension of the mentorship/sponsorship
program.