Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

Mike Bilow wrote:

> Slink is so old now as to be borderline useless.  With its basis of glibc
> 2.0 instead of 2.1, slink will not run the Sun JDK 1.2.2, PostgreSQL 6.5,
> and all sorts of other things we need.  As a result, we actually have
> production web servers and database servers running on potato, which is
> not technically stable.  We regard this as extremely undesirable.
Me too :)

Running potato since December 1999 on 3 of my production servers and even on 2
of my production firewalls. I think I do not have to mention that I am testing
this on my personal machine before upgrading packages on one of the procution
machines. However, e.g. the modutils change (directory locations) cut my web
server off the net for about 3 hours.

I would also vote for shorter release cycles (maybe twice a year).

best greets,
Rene Mayrhofer