Re: ITP: gnome-pilot

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 01:00:12AM +0100, Mark Brown <broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk> spake forth:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 04:21:07PM -0700, Mike Markley wrote:
>
> > I am currently working on a package for gnome-pilot. I haven't seen any
> > mention of it on here or on WNPP. I'm in the new-maintainer queue, and in
> > the meantime I am being sponsored by Christoph Lameter. From the README:
>
> I already ITPed this, but you're welcome to take it if you want - I'm
> not likely to get much done for another month and a bit due to pressure
> of work and it's currently Not Quite Ready.  You're welcome to what I
> came up with so far (not that there's much there).
>
> The list archives are currently borken but I did CC WNPP.  Hmm...
>
> > I will also be packaging the conduits as a separate package Recommended: by
> > gnome-pilot.
>
> I can see that annoying people who use APT.  It might be an idea to make
> gnome-pilot a meta package which pulls in all the stuff in the upstream
> package.  How were you planning to handle the shared libraries (whenever
> the upstream decides on a consistent name for them...)?

Well, the conduits aren't *required* - I can put in a documentation or
postinst note alerting users to their presence. The basic conduits are in
the package itself - the separate package will be the separate
gnome-pilot-conduits tarball that's available w/the source. I haven't
figured out *what* to do about the shared libraries yet. A quick ldd shows
that the binaries are in fact linked against them. I could separate it into
a libgnome-pilot and a gnome-pilot, with the latter depending upon the
former. To fill in any list readers who may be able to offer input:
The gnome-pilot tarball builds a few shared libraries:
/usr/lib/libgpilotdcm.so
/usr/lib/libgpilotd.so
/usr/lib/libgpilotdconduit.so

The binaries that are built are linked against these suckers. Is a separate
libgnome-pilot package with gnome-pilot depending upon it the best way to
go? It's the approach that makes the most sense to me - presumably these are
built as separate shared libraries because other programs could make use of
them, too.

--
Mike Markley <mike@markley.org>
PGP: 0xA9592D4D 62 A7 11 E2 23 AD 4F 57  27 05 1A 76 56 92 D5 F6

Too much of anything, even love, isn't necessarily a good thing.
- Kirk, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6