Re: ITP: kernel-patch-2.2.14-raid and kernel-image-2.2.14-raid

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 04:13:31PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> Isn't this kind of pointless considering
>
> a) 2.2.15 will be coming RSN

  You are right that the packages may be obsolete in the near future, but I
think they will be very useful for Debian users. Especially since you can't
find RAID patches for 2.2.14 from ftp.kernel.org (the main distribution
channel for RAID software) but have to get them from the authors homepage
(www.redhat.com/~mingo/), which has made many users think that they have to
use older kernels.

> b) This wont make it into potato
> c) By the time woody releases, we will be using 2.4.x, which has
>    up-to-date RAID code (see "b").

  Wouldn't all kernel related packages in woody be kind of pointless by this
criteria ?

> d) It adds to the already confusing amount of kernel images, by adding yet
>    another maintainer to the group. Plus, who's to say what kernel options
>    you should have in your image (aside from the RAID options). Wouldn't
>    this be better to add to the kernel-source-2.2.14 so it is availabel to
>    all archs, and get's into the default kernel images?

  Could someone else in the kernel-image group maintain the package ? I was
planning on using the options that are used on kernel-image-2.2.14.

--
P.A. Knuutila <zur@edu.lahti.fi> 363C ACE2 0A4F DE7E B67A 0223 C53B 932B