Re: postgresql 6.5.3 vs. debian

Petr Cech wrote:
  >On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 09:47:07AM -0500 , w trillich wrote:
  >> aaugh!
  >>
  >> i'm having my fourth day of troubles trying to upgrade
  >> my 6.3 pgsql (came on the debian cd) to 6.5.3, and i'm hoping
  >> someone might have the insight i need to get over this hurdle...

Give up and install the Debian packages.  If you use apt, everything you
need will be installed automatically.

  >1) what version of Debian
  >2) why over rpm, which looks like will need glibc-2.1
  >  - this means that the converted rpms will run on potato and not on slink.
  >    And in slink there already are postgresql 6.5.3 .debs.
              ^^^^^
potato

and 7.0beta5 is now in woody (but go through 6.5.3-17 to get there)
     "Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is
      anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one
      of you sick? He should call the elders of the church
      to pray over him...The prayer of a righteous man is
      powerful and effective."         James 5:13,14,16