Re: [PROPOSAL] update-binfmts - manages the binfmt_misc kernel module

    Kristoffer> 3. In fact your proposal suggests a more general
    Kristoffer> useful extension: integration of the kernel options in
    Kristoffer> the package system!

    Kristoffer>    One could imagine a (virtual?) package for each
    Kristoffer> module in the kernel that would be seen as installed
    Kristoffer> or uninstalled depending on whether a certain option
    Kristoffer> is compiled into the kernel.  This way packages could
    Kristoffer> depend on kernel modules being installed in a way that
    Kristoffer> would interact well with recompilation of kernels and
    Kristoffer> even permit effective selection of just the needed
    Kristoffer> modules for a given installation.

List of points (not that I am for/against the above proposal, but I
think these are important issues):

1. "each module in the kernel that would be seen as installed or
uninstalled, depending on whether a certain option is compiled into
the kernel".

Do you mean you want packages to automatically un-install when
rebooting with a kernel that doesn't support that package???  Or have
I misunderstood you?

2. "permit effective selection of just the needed modules for a given
installation".

Yes, this could be a useful feature. BUT: Is it worth it? I mean, even
if you install all packages that might be broken with your particular
kernel configuration, how much is wasted? (it is implied for this to
be useful, there would have to be some way to turn it off). Wouldn't
these packages still be useful if the user rebooted to another kernel
that had the required options?

3. Any thing that sets out to achieve the above, *must* take into
account how easy it is to reboot different Linux kernels, and
alternatives to the Linux kernels, eg The Hurd.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>