Re: Ian Jackson, please get me the hell off your blacklist.

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:08:53PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:18:47PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > your right to free speech does not include the right to force anyone
> > > else to listen.
> >
> > Then this principle must apply universally.  I reserve the right to ignore
> > bug reports for any reason I choose, then.
>
> of course you have that right.  any volunteer always has the right to
> abandon the responsibilities that they have freely chosen to accept.

I believe the discussion is about speech, not volunteer responsibilities.

Speech implies a listener, otherwise we would never have discussions about
trees falling in the forest unobserved.

Speech without a listener is failed communication. That is exactly what we
are seeing here.

No single party to the "conversation" can fix the problem. Both parties
must participate in the communication of ideas or there can be no
exchange. Both parties getting to "have their say", and everything
continuing as before, is not communication.

Freedom is a wonderful concept, until it is used to bludgeon someone else
into doing things your way, against their own better judgement.

Luck,

Dwarf