Re: Pgcc in Deb

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 10:11:44AM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I think the answer is this: it is felt by debian developers that pgcc
> deserves more: it should be included in its own architecture, You may
> know that we have the architecture called 'i386', well, pgcc would come
> in the architecture called 'i586' with the idea that all packages in
> debian would be compiled with pgcc for i586 architecture.
>
> I have heard discussion to this effect, so I suspect that some work
> or at least exploration of this possibility has been done. I don't
> know its status.
>
> (All: does anyone know curr stat of any such?)

Um, that's not what I've heard. Since optimizing for the Pentium
will sometimes pessimize the Pentium (Pro, II, III), and the
speedup from most programs is not that great, and anything that
needs it can be recompiled locally, it wasn't worth the archive
space or the manpower or extra trouble.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with