Re: Signing Packages.gz

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 08:52:36PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 04:00:20PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > It seems you feel personally insulted. I am sorry for this, but
> > unfortunately it doesn't change the situation that the signed packages case
> > adds a further point of weakness to the chain of trust.
>
> Interesting. So signing Packages.gz will lower the security?

No. Currently there is NO chain of verification (I should not have said
"trust", it's the wrong term. Sorry).

However, it doesn't establish a complete chain of verification from the
developers to the users, au contraire to what you seem to believe.

> > We already use link 1 (signed changes files), and trust it. This won't
> > be changed by either proposal. Yes, even in the signed packages file you
> > trust all developers keys.
>
> There is a difference between our master server trusting the uploaded changes
> files. master will by definition always have the current keyring. The user
> might not.

Yes, but this doesn't change the point. The problem of out of date keys is a
known problem in any public key cryptosystem.

> Okay - signing Packages will make Debian as secure as master is. Fine.
> We must assume that master is secure otherwise we are doomed anyway.

Wrong. If you have signed debs, and you are careful when updating the
debian-keyring package, there is no risk even if master is compromised.

> Currently Debian is as secure as the worst maintained mirror.
>
> > What link 2 asserts instead is that the packages come from master. It solves
> > the mirror problem, but does not solve the master problem.
>
> So let's fix the mirror problem and let the master problem for later.

This is the Debian way, right? Fetching the stick at the wrong end first.
(Yes, this is a troll).

Thanks,
Marcus