Re: 0 days till bug horizon

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:55:49AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         This should not be a RC bug: bbdb works just fine for
> >  emacs19/20, and even the basic package continues to work for XEmacs
> >  (for VM users, for example). Only the interface between bbdb and gnus
> >  in _one_ of the flavours of emacs is broken; does it justify yanking
> >  bbdb despite the fact it works for a large number of people?
>
> That depends on what happens.  Does the install process fail because
> xemacs20 happens to be installed?

No it does not, the install process does not fail for the whole of the
bbdb package.

What happened is that at installation time the bbdb-gnus target fails
because the xemacs process byte-compiling it cannot load the "gnus"
file.  That means that bbdb-gnus.elc is not built and when bbdb is
loaded into xemacs20, at startup time or later, it bombs because it
tried to load bbdb-gnus.elc which is not there.

I attempted to reproduce this problem but was not able to get the
package installation process to bomb when compiling bbdb-gnus for
xemacs20.  The reason for this is xemacs20-suppport include a gnus
distribution, so as long as xemacs20-support is installed (which
xemacs20 depends on) that file will be found by the byte-compiling
xemacs20 process.  If you install the seperate gnus package it
compiled bbdb-gnus against that.

Being unable to reproduce the bug, and due to the fact that even if it
were to mysteriously manifest it only effected xemacs20 users without
gnus installed, I see no reason for this to be an RC bug.

--
Craig Brozefsky                      <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software  http://www.red-bean.com/~craig