Re: RBL report..

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 04:34:37PM +0200, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > Unfortunately, it demonstrates that ORBS is a little more indiscriminant
> > than perhaps is good.
>
> Yes; because innocent people do get caught in the middle of it. But it's
> the only method to fight open relays. I've said it before and I'll say it
> again, there is no reason for relays to be open. Just because half the
> admins out there are too incompetent to take care of their mail servers
> doesn't justify why the rest of the net has to wade through floods of spam
> ;-)

The point exactly..  If RBL or RSS blacklists someone, it's a known
spammer or a site which has refused to act against spammers abusing their
systems.  In these instances, the blacklisting happens as a last resort.

DUL and ORBS both seem to think they need to punish anyone whose config
or origin does not meet their standards (or as someone else noted in the
case of ORBS, if they are unable to test you..)

There are those who believe such far-reaching pre-emptive strikes against
spammers are warranted.  I'm not one of them.  I believe DUL and ORBS are
only making the problems worse by resorting to "fighting dirty" without
regard for the innocent users.

These people are typified by Craig Sanders who has said on many occasions
now in several forums that people who don't like or are hurt by such
blacklists should simply get a better ISP---as if a lot of people even had
a choice!  Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?  That
sort of uncaring attitude shows exactly how unethical that view (and IMO
the people who hold it) are.

!netgod:*! time flies when youre using linux
!doogie:*! yeah, infinite loops in 5 seconds.
!Teknix:*! has anyone re-tested that with 2.2.x ?
!netgod:*! yeah, 4 seconds now