Re: blue on black is unreadable

Peter Cordes <peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> In the case of terminal colours, I thought most people really did
> use black bg terminals, or at least dark something, like blue. Also,
> real VT100s and VT220s have black bg screens with amber text.
> There's a precedent for black bg terminals outside of X.

Light (Amber, Green, Gray) on Black terminals probably made the most
sense, back then. Most people will concur that a light background
means too much eyestrain on CRT rates of 60 Hz or less. Low-end
computers followed this trend (C64: amazingly readable
lightblue/darkblue, Amiga: white/darkblue, IBM-PC: Gray,Green/Black)

With the advent of powerful workstation monitors delivering 70 Hz or
more, the most glaring problem of black/white became less and less
important.

I'll throw in another
<URL:http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/people/ematias/faq/S/S-9.html> (Anwers
from comp.human-factors to "Which screen colors look best / produce
the least eye strain?")

--
Robbe