Re: of bash and ...sbin/

Robert Woodcock <rcw@debian.org> writes:

> Without going in depth as to what traceroute and ping are (a fruitless flame
> war)

Facts can not build a flame war. Opinions (about "depth" or somesuch)
can.

> suffice it to say that I disagree with your "deeper" comment.

Ok.

> These 'boundaries' are completely arbitrary, since as pointed out earlier,
> Herbert Xu isn't willing to change traceroute.
>
> Perhaps we should ask Dan Quinlan?

Indeed. This way all Linux variants can go through this change.
Traditionally, it was /sbin/traceroute and it makes sense to reverse
this decision only when a new standard mandates it.

[mv /usr/bin/mtr /usr/sbin/mtr ?]

> If it is really to go in sbin, then I shall also take the suid-bit off of
> it, since obviously only root will be using it anyway.

Nope. Users will still want to use it.

FWIW, suid should be replaced by a capability, anyway, sooner or later.

--
Robbe