Re: of bash and ...sbin/

Chad Miller (cmiller@surfsouth.com) wrote:

> I like that debian's bash package has different paths for users and the
> superuser, but it's caused me to question ideas behind the placement of
> some programs in 'sbin' directories.
>
> For instance, a program joeuser uses often is 'traceroute' (which is in
> /usr/sbin).  Other (questionable) ones might be /usr/sbin/fbset or
> /usr/sbin/lpc .

not to mention ifconfig! having these utils in the non-root path is hardly a
security risk. if anything, this is just to keep down helpdesk calls like
"what does MAKEDEV do?" personally, since many of these commands print out
usefull, non-security-risking data, i don't see any good reason to keep em
out.