Re: apt-get cron job

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 10:42:44PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> I've got a useful cron job that many of you may find useful.  It uses
>apt-get to download updated packages in the wee hours of the morning while
>the rest of the internet sleeps (well, at least most of it sleep :).  I
>mentioned it on my local LUG list, and Ben Armstrong gave me some helpful
>advice.  First, it is too small to package by itself, and second, he
>recommended asking some of my questions on debian-devel, so here I am :)
>
> I use this line in /etc/crontab on my woody system:
>42 6    * * sun root    /usr/bin/apt-get update ; /usr/bin/apt-get -q -d -y -u dist-upgrade ; /usr/bin/apt-get autoclean

You might consider changing the order to clean the cache before
downloading the new packages, and making each step dependant on the
previous.

42 6 * * sun root apt-get update && apt-get autoclean && \
    apt-get -q -d -y -u upgrade

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9809 0133