Re: [transcript] source package formats

>>"Adam" == Adam Heath <adam@doogie.org> writes:

 Adam> In the transcript, it is mentioned that I wrote dbs.  It is a
 Adam> multi-tarball, multi-patch system, that is currently in use by
 Adam> several pkgs.  However, it has its drawbacks, the 2 most
 Adam> glaring that it hides the source in subtrees, all packed up,
 Adam> and that it doesn't extract into <pkg>-<ver> directly.

        Another drawback I find is that this is very difficult to
 use with a source code control system. espescially ODE and eve
 CVS. The native source format is no longer one which one can directly
 edit.

        One of the feature I like of a monolithic patch, as you call
 it, is that when upstream incorporates changes previously made by me
 or others, it is automatically handled on upgrade; the monolithic
 patch just gets smaller.

        I think that keeping patches separate would involve work
 everytime the upstream sources incorporates parts of the patches.

        Despite clains that dbs does much the same that CVS does, I
 think the people making the claim really do not know version control
 systems (I am not guessing, I am quoting things from IRC). Don't take
 my word for it, try both systems and see.

        manoj
--
 What excuses stand in your way?  How can you eliminate them? Roger
 von Oech