Re: New version of xserver-svga gives poorer display on laptop

In message <[🔎] 200003162017.e2GKH9m21727@linda.lfix.co.uk>
          "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a laptop that uses the S3 Virge/MX video chip.
>
> I had this working well with the xserver-svga from slink.  I
> recently upgraded to 3.3.6-3 and found that the quality of the
> display became significantly worse.  I have not seen any reference
> to such a problem anywhere I have looked.  Since I don't have any
> idea how the xserver works, I don't have a clue about the cause of
> the problem, let alone how to solve it.
>

> The nature of the problem is this:
> There is a tendency for the image to be smeared to the right.  This is
> particularly noticeable with the mouse cursor, which trails a small comet
[snip]

I had /exactly/ this problem. I finally solved it by using xf86config
to generate a new configuration file. It worked fine after that (and,
not only that, but the display which was slightly flickerly with the
previous version is now rock solid).

My laptop is a Clevo 98 rebadged by Novatech in the UK - think the
screen is 12.1", it does 800x600 max, /proc/pci says the controller
is a '"S3 Inc. ViRGE/MX+MV (rec 3).". I can send you my XF86Config if
you think it might help.

Cheers,

Joseph

--