Re: Less interactive upgrades.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:18:25PM -0500, Tom Rothamel wrote:
> One of the minor annoyances in Debian is the prompting that goes on
> during package upgrades. It's not the fact that the prompting
> occurs... I like the fact that it doesn't silently redo the system
> configuration... but rather the fact that it occurs thoughout the
> upgrade process.
>
> Debconf helps matters. It allows for configuration questions to be
> asked the start of the installation process, which could then proceed
> automatically. At least, that's the theory.
>
> The problem I have is that dpkg keeps on prompting me as to the
> disposition of config files I have changed. Don't get me wrong, I like
> the fact that it asks me what to do... I just wish it would do it at
> the start, and proceed cleanly through the upgrade without further
> prompting.
>
> Since it would be unkind of me to subject the list to the above
> without proposing a solution, here's my answer to this:

In /etc/apt/sources.list add these lines:

DPkg
{
  Options {"--force-confdef";}
}

This will make dpkg always choose the default option to the conffile
questions. If there is no default, it will still prompt (not likely), so
you can also add --force-confold, so that if there is no default, it will
choose to keep the old conffile.

Problem solved :)

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '