Re: magnetic synchronous motor water pumps

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 10:45:07AM +0100, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
> > > Can we please close the list from non-member submissions?
> >
> > NO!
> > I, like many users of Debian, post from different mail addresses. Lists which are closed that way are really painful.
>
> Can I forward all the spam I get from this list to your accounts, then?
>
> Just chose one email address to post from. Fake it if necessary; it's
> trivial to do so. You're probably only subscribed once anyway, right?

Faking mail is not something which should be undertaken trivially.

It is, for example, against the rules of the institution I'm at (the
university of cambridge) to emit mail with a from: address other than
a valid @cam.ac.uk from: address. But when I'm at home, I use another
address.

Making valid and useful actions impossible is not the way to fight
spam.  To fight spam, our spam-masters work quite hard to block open
relays, etc.

One possible technique we could employ is to require that the list
address appear visibly in the headers (to: or cc:).  This would
prevent Bcc'ing the lists which is a shame (and care would need to be
taken with -private, which is also security), but it might be worth
it.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable