Re: I don't want to use xterm, why am I forced to use it any way?

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 10:38:50AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> P.S. I think we still *need* a way of USER-LEVEL (not SITE-LEVEL)
> configuration like /usr/bin/sensible-x-terminal and $XTERM.

A user can override sensible-x-terminal in ~/bin and include ~/bin before
everything else in his/her PATH. Is something wrong with this solution?
(Of course this doesn't work if scrpts call /usr/bin/sensible instead just
sensible, so they shouldn't). Of course this would need to be documented.

> I read the previous discussion about sensible-x-terminal and I think
> the disadvantage of the idea is that shell script wrapper is slow.

Starting an xterm is not a time critical action. You don't need to start
hundreds of xterms in a few seconds, for example.

> However, if we are to introduce shell script to absorb the difference
> of options, why not introduce user-level configuration?  For Asian
> people, it is not only a mere preference of users but also a necessity
> to use their native language.

I agree it should be user customizable, however this will be achieved.

Thanks,
Marcus