Re: Fonts in X

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> I've been poking around and I wondered if aynone had come up with a
> way to make X aware of the 357 postscript type1 fonts included in
> the tetex packages - similar to the gsfonts-x11 package. I'd really
> like to put these fonts to some good use, particularly in LyX
> (editing in CMR would be nice)!

I don't use LyX so I don't know, so I personally don't need this, but
you shouldn't expect too much in small scalings, which often look very
ugly on the screen (you won't notice this with most of the fonts in
gsfonts-x11, because there are bitmap fonts for some of the, which are
used instead of the Type1 fonts for small scalings).

> To do this, I think you need a .scale file that maps .pfb files to X
> font names, not sure how to come up with one of those.. Anyone have
> any thoughts?

You can start using "type1inst -nogs" from the type1inst package.  But
you will have to optimize this by hand, because it uses "unknown" for
the producer of the font like this:

cmr10.pfb    -unknown-cmr10-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-fontspecific

But maybe this is enough to try out, whether it is really useful for

 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *