Re: Packaging of more zope products

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 11:39:06AM +0100, Christian Leutloff wrote:
> for ZOPE exists many many so called products that extends the
> functionality. Some are already available for Debian: zope-mysqlda,
> zope-pygresqld, zope-siteacces, zope-tinytable. Are there any plans to
> pack more of the available products? Are there any reasons why it
> hasn't happened so far (except nobody wants to do the work)?

Time (missing, that is) is certainly one reason. Another reason I didn't
package any other things is that I hoped to come up with a generic
zproducttodeb tool (cf. gtkthemetodeb) that would help packaging this stuff.

IMHO a problem with packaging Zope products is that most of them currently
are very small, and packaging each of them introduces a quite a big
overhead. Recently, there was a discussion on the Zope list about "Zope
packs"--sounded like a generic package format for Zope products--if there
was a decent solution for this, I'd certainly prefer this about manually
packaging each single product.

Then, somebody from zope.org/Members wrote a script to package a big number
of Zope products in a single .deb file.

    Gregor